With just one mention of bed bugs, a hotel can see its reputation turn ugly really fast. This is due to the simple fact that the thought of biting bugs coming out to feed while you sleep is alarming, to say the least. However, bed bugs are scary for a lot more reasons than just a few harmless bites. Here are five frightening facts every traveler should know about bed bugs and why this topic of pest control is one that you will want to be educated about fully.
1. An adult bed bug can live up to 400 days without feeding on a host at all. This means, you could inadvertently pack up a few bugs in your luggage, leave the luggage in your car for weeks, and still end up with bed bugs in your home when you unpack. To prevent this issue, avoid packing up the bugs in the first place by not storing luggage on the floor of your room and always shaking your clothing briskly before packing it up.
2. One female bed bug can produce as many as seven eggs per day after a feeding for ten days. This means one female bug brought home with you after feeding on you for dinner could lay 70 eggs in your suitcase in a really short amount of time.
3. Bed bugs are not as visible as a lot of people think. The adults may be large enough that you would easily see them crawling across the covers, but when they are just hatched they can be as little as 1.3 millimeters in size. Even more alarming, before they feed they are often transparent or white and blend in quite well with their background.
4. You cannot always feel bed bugs bite. Their saliva actually contains an anticoagulant and painkillers. Therefore, you may be bitten several times before you know what has happened.
5. Bed bugs can be found in all 50 states in the US. No matter where you plan to travel or stay for the night, bed bugs could be a possibility and you should always be on the lookout for them.
With so many reasons to be fearful of bed bugs, it is always a good idea to check out the reputation of any hotel in which you plan to stay. If you are ever uncertain, ask the hotel manager about measures that have been taken to ward of these pesky creatures in the establishment.
Growing up, I lived in a home with a major ant problem. These pesky insects were especially bothersome during the driest months of summer. Without a moment’s notice, my parents, my sister, and I would find them crawling on our beds, our clothes, or our bodies. My father exhausted all means of eliminating the ants from our home. If you are dealing with a similar situation, don’t lose hope. An experienced pest control specialist can help you get rid of your antagonizing ants for good. This professional will investigate both the exterior and interior of your home in order to determine the proper solution for your problem. On this blog, you will learn the ways a pest control specialist can obliterate the ants on your property.